Friday, May 14, 2010

Pollutopia Vs. Georgia O'Keefe - I am Nature (before and after)


I sometimes find cheap canvases at the Salvation Army store which I usually paint over but sometimes the artwork is actually pretty good. I brought this one for $5 thinking it was a sketch of M. Patterson by Georgia O'Keefe but it was actually a sketch of Georgia O'Keefe by M. Patterson. So, instead of totally destroying her sketch (sorry Mrs. Patterson) I decided to make it part of my Pollutopia Vs. series.

I used watered down acrylic/gesso and dripped it on to the surface. I liked the idea that the Pollutopian mass of hair could be interpreted as a stream of nature coming out of Georgia O'Keefe's head but I held off on the idea of adding flowers. It was fun painting this way so I might do a few more along these lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment